英国女王2018圣诞致辞:主题是尊重(视频)
新东方网整理2018-12-26 09:14
往期视频回顾:
在致辞中,女王照例回顾了即将过去的2018年。
对于大家——世界和英国来说,2018是第一次世界大战结束100周年和英国皇家空军成立100周年;对于小家——英国皇室来说,“两场婚礼、两个新生儿和一个尚未出生的婴儿”是这一年的关键词。
女王调侃自己身为祖母,日子过得非常充实。
"It helps to keep a grandmother well occupied. "
这让身为祖母的我感觉非常充实。
同时,女王还深情回忆了自己的父亲,并抛出比“只有失去才懂得珍惜”更高级的金句。
At Christmas, we become keenly aware of loved ones who have died, whatever the circumstances.
在圣诞期间,无论是在什么样的情境之下,我们都会格外怀念那些已经逝去的、我们深爱的人。
But, of course, we would not grieve if we did not love.
但确实,从未爱过,就不知何为哀悼。
在位66年、行走至92岁高龄的女王,用她所经历过的世事变迁,发出了如此这般动人的感慨。
提到未来,女王给出“尊重”“理解”“和平”“善良”数个关键词,并且一如既往地用Happy Christmas祝大家圣诞快乐。
英国女王圣诞致辞双语全文:
For many, the service of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College, Cambridge is when Christmas begins.
对很多人而言,剑桥大学国王学院的《九篇读经与圣诞颂歌庆典》教堂礼拜标志着圣诞节的开始。
Listened to by millions of people around the world, it starts with a chorister singing the first verse of Once in Royal David's City.
它由一名合唱团成员带头从《大卫城中歌》的第一段唱起,全世界数百万人共同聆听。
chorister : /'kɒrɪstə/ 唱诗班歌手
The priest who introduced this service to King's College chapel, exactly one hundred years ago, was Eric Milner-White.
百年前为国王学院教堂带来这项仪式的神父是艾瑞克·米尔纳-怀特。
He had served as a military chaplain in the World War I.
他在第一次世界大战期间曾担任随军牧师。
Just six weeks after the Armistice, he wanted a new kind of service which, with its message of peace and goodwill, spoke to the needs of the times.
在停战六周之后,他希望用这样一项传播和平与善意的、全新的礼拜活动来与当时的时代所需进行对话。
armistice /'ɑːmɪstɪs/:停战
2018 has been a year of centenaries.
2018年是一个百年纪念之年。
The Royal Air Force celebrated its 100th anniversary with a memorable fly-past demonstrating a thrilling unity of purpose and execution.
皇家空军用一场令人印象深刻的空中表演来庆祝它的100周年纪念日,展示出了惊人的目标与执行力。
We owe them and all our Armed Services our deepest gratitude.
我们对他们和其他所有武装部队,都应抱有最深切的感谢。
My father served in the Royal Navy during the World War I.
我的父亲也曾经在一战期间于皇家海军服役。
He was a midshipman in HMS Collingwood at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
1916年日德兰战役中,他是皇家海军科林伍德海事学院的一名准尉。
The British fleet lost 14 ships and 6,000 men in that engagement.
在那场战事中,英国舰队损失了14艘舰艇和6000名士兵。
My father wrote in a letter: 'How and why we were not hit beats me'.
我的父亲在一封信里写道:“我无法解释我们如何、又为什么没被击中。”
Like others, he lost friends in the war.
和其他士兵一样,他在那场战争中失去了很多朋友。
At Christmas, we become keenly aware of loved ones who have died, whatever the circumstances.
在圣诞期间,无论是在什么样的情境之下,我们都会格外怀念那些已经逝去的、我们深爱的人。
But, of course, we would not grieve if we did not love.
但确实,从未爱过,就不知何为哀悼。
相关推荐