首页>英语>英语学习>语法词汇>词汇指导>

容易被误解的英语俚语:千万别“望文生义”

沪江2018-11-08 10:16

  俚语篇已经写过多次了,今天依然延续“望文生义”风格,看看这些容易被误解的表达。

  前两天看到一篇文章里出现了for a song,但是上看下看都觉得这主题跟音乐没有一毛钱关系。“为了一首歌”?完全对不上意思,查询之后才发现for a song表示“廉价的”。

  这大概就是语言学习的乐趣之一,熟悉的词在一起组成全新的意思,了解它们不仅有助于日常交际,还更显地道。

  1

  CHANGE YOUR TUNE / SING A DIFFERENT TUNE

  改变了看法或主意。

  You've definitely changed your tune since the last time I saw you! You used to hate this town!

  自从上次见面以后,你的态度就变了!原来你很讨厌这个城市的!

  2

  FACE THE MUSIC

  不得不接受负面后果

  I'm not ready to face the music. I need to figure it out for myself before I speak to them.

  我还没准备好面对这一切。和他们说话之前,我自己要弄清楚。

  3

  PLAY BY EAR

  随机应变,在没有指南或规定的情况下,即兴处理某事。

  I don't know what I'm going to say when she gets here, I'll just play it by ear.

  待她来时,我不知道自己要说些什么,随机应变吧。

  4

  SEE YOU ON THE BIG DRUM

  用来对孩子说晚安。

  Okay, get some sleep now. See you on the big drum.

  好啦,该休息啦。晚安。

  5

  AS CLEAN AS A WHISTLE

  指某物非常干净。

  He may come across as someone who could’ve been involved in that robbery, but I have checked his records and they’re as clean as a whistle.

  他让人觉得极像上次参与劫案的劫匪,可我查了他的档案,并没有什么不良记录。

  6

  CALL THE TUNE

  发号施令,用于描述做重大决定之人。

  I'm afraid I can't help you sir. Barbara calls the tune around here, so you'd have to speak to her.

  恐怕我帮不上什么忙,先生。这里芭芭拉说了算,你可以跟她谈谈。

  7

  WHISTLE FOR IT

  痴心妄想:如果有人对你说这句话,那么这意味着他们认为你一定得不到自己想要的东西。

  You can whistle for it as much as you like, this is an heirloom of our family and will stay with us!

  随便你怎么想,这是我们的传家宝,你休想得到!

  8

  CLEAR AS A BELL

  形容某事十分清楚、便于理解。

  His instructions were as clear as a bell, everyone knew exactly what they were supposed to do.

  他的指示十分清楚,每个人都知道自己应该做什么。

相关推荐

首页 考研 四六级 留学 托福 雅思 GRE GMAT SAT ACT 英语